Thursday, June 3, 2010

Introduction

For me and probably most everyone else here, there really isn't a solid break from one hunting season to the next. As soon as you finish that last outing of the year it seems like your already thinking about and gearing up for what the next year will bring. This season started for me when I was given a 3 year old Bowtech for my birthday. A new bow for me has been a long time coming. I've been hunting with my sweet PSE Nova for 10 years now, and although it's been as trusty as an old dog I've noticed it's really showing signs of slowing down and was in need of a new owner to rekindle it's fire. Thankfully my cousin who is just getting into archery and like me isn't financially fit to go out and purchase a new bow, jumped up and snatched it away from me. So, my PSE found a great new home and will probably find success again this year. And, I can't but help toss a big thanks out to my bother again who saw fit to upgrade his bow and gift me his old one for my birthday. Thank you!

So as you can imagine I'm just as happy as ever. And with it being only February and me with a new bow in hand I've had a great jump start into practicing for the new season. Also with my birthday being in the perfect time of the year I scrounged up enough money to buy myself a new trail cam, the Bushnell trail cam. I'm totally stoked about this camera. Not only is it a great camera, but it's small and compact. Perfect for those long halls into the back country. Stay tuned and I'll prove just how awesome these camera's really are.

With the cold days slowly dwindling away and the Utah draw results slowly drawing nearer, I found myself getting more and more anxious to get up the canyon and do some spotting. But with the snow packed roads still being gated off I was forced to wait it out. Not that I didn't fill the remainder of my time with good-for-me shooting practice, but there's only so many bulls-eys you can pin down in an evening before you're not as excited to hit that little black dot again.

Finally April rolled in and I watched my credit card balance like a hawk, hoping I'd be so fortunate to have some large sum taken out without warning. But... it wasn't to be. I was yet again unsuccessful on my LE elk, bear and moose tags. No matter there's always next year right? But it's not all that bad. I've still got my dedicated hunter tag and I wont be passing up the archery elk tag either. A few hours after my draw results came in, I got news that my sister-in-law Amanda and my uncle Marvin both drew they're LE tags this year. short from drawing the tag myself I couldn't be happier. We in this family hunt as a family, and sometime our greatest hunting moments aren't sitting behind the weapon but rather nearby watching the action unfold in third person and taking every bit of the magic in. This year has the makings of a great year, even before setting foot on that hallowed ground we call our hunting territory.

Join me and my family in our adventures to spot, stalk and draw down on some great animals this year. And keep your fingers crossed for me that I can finally rid myself of that dreaded deer curse that's got a tight grip on me.

The gates are open, the and the animals finally have something more too look at they just a couple stubs on the top of they're heads. We're headed up the canyon to check em out.

No comments:

Post a Comment